Know your foundation is currently using Every Day With Jesus: The Character of God by Selwyn Hughes. All current discussion topics come from this devotional, unless otherwise noted.

Scriptures are hyper-linked to www.biblegateway.com.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Friday Night Teaching

Hey everyone! Just transcribing the notes that I took last night during Gary's teaching. I didn't get to write anything down toward the end, though, so I'm hoping everyone else can help fill in the gaps. Also, I used this online source of The Scriptures (find it here), which is the translation of the Bible that Nate and I use.

*When you have a foundational issue that's off, everything you build on top of that is off.

Thomas Payne: "The Bible is a book that has been read more and examined less than any other book in history."
     - There are over 30,000 different Christian denominations, all of them use the same Bible, so who do you go to for truth?

Romans 8:6 - "For the mind of the flesh is death, but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace."
     - You can't be carnally minded to find truth
     - You must be Biblically spiritually minded

The language of the Bible - context is the most important thing
     - The Bible is an Eastern document with an Eastern mindset
     - The Bible was written by Hebrews
     - It is important to know where the author was and what he was writing about

2 Timothy 3:16-17 - "All Scripture is breathed by Elohim and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for setting straight, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of Elohim might be fitted, equipped for every good work."

     - This verse is used to say that the Scripture is valid (meaning the Torah, Prophets, Psalms)
     - Only the Old Testament was around when this verse was written!

*You are adopted into the family of Israel, so start learning about the family into which you were adopted!

Where do we find the truth?

Isaiah 46:9-10
 - "Remember the former events of old, for I am El, and there is no one else – Elohim, and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from of old that which has not yet been done, saying, ‘My counsel does stand, and all My delight I do,"
     - Yahweh told you everything from the beginning to the end
     - You can find the entire story of mankind in Genesis

***Once you understand who Yahweh is and who his people are, you can understand the other books in context***

Hosea 4:6 - "My people have perished for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being priest for Me. Since you have forgotten the Torah of your Elohim, I also forget your children."
     - Torah means instruction as a parent to a child
     - Torah does not mean law 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed doing that. Thank you guys so much for giving Amanda and I the opportunity to be friends with all of you.

    I have just gotten a site of my own up to discuss in depth things related to what we were discussing Friday night.

    backtotruth.com

    Its a work in progress but the BLOG support is operational.

    ReplyDelete