Know your foundation is currently using Every Day With Jesus: The Character of God by Selwyn Hughes. All current discussion topics come from this devotional, unless otherwise noted.

Scriptures are hyper-linked to www.biblegateway.com.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

No Blemish in God

"I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me." (32:41)

We turn now to focus on an aspect of God's character which for some reason many see as a blotch or blemish in the divine nature. I refer to the matter of God's wrath. Though the subject may be missing from many modern-day pulpits, it is not missing from the Bible. If you look up in a Bible concordance all the texts that refer to the wrath, anger, or the severity of God, you will find that there are more references to these than there are to His love, graciousness, or tenderness. A proper study of God can never be complete unless consideration is given to the fact that God is not only a God of love but a God of wrath and anger also.

I remember in the early days of my Christian experience that whenever I heard any reference to the wrath of God, I would feel a deep resentment arise within me, and instead of regarding this aspect of God's nature with delight, I looked upon it with disdain. Later, however, when I came to understand it and saw it in its proper light - as something to rejoice in rather than to be resented - I found my love for God and my awe of God swell to new proportions.

Arthur W. Pink describes the wrath of God as the "eternal detestation of all unrighteousness... the displeasure and indignation of divine equity against evil... the holiness of God stirred into activity against sin." Never view the wrath of God as a moral blemish or a blotch on His character. It would be a blemish if wrath were absent from Him.

Prayer:
Father, I would face all reality - even those aspects that do not fit into my preconceived ideas. Help me not to balk at the idea that You are a God of wrath as well as a God of wonder. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Further Study:
Why did God's anger burn?
What did the psalmist say about God's wrath?

7 comments:

  1. Does it make me weird that this aspect of God's character doesn't disturb me at all? I guess I think about it this way. God is a Father who laid out the rules plain and simple in the Bible for us. If he didn't discipline us for breaking the rules, he would be kind of a weenie (can I say that?). He would be the kind of father that you see in public with his kids and think, "Oooooh, that kid needs a spanking!"
    I'm thankful that God disciplines me so that I know I've done something wrong and can come back into right relationship with him.
    And I'm even more thankful that he will kick the tails of any of my enemies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. Modern day Christianity has turned God into an all
    peace, loving and a tip-toeing around the issues kind of God. While the first two
    are true, I am grateful that He's also a vengeful God that is jealous for me, hates the sin that separates us from Him, and never tip-toes around an issue. He demonstrates His awesome power and love by giving us the will to choose, but teaching us when (if we remain teachable and in covenant) when our choice is wrong.
    And yes, it also doesn't hurt that he wants you to know your authority in Him so you can trample on the heads of your enemies. I love that He has given those that walk in covenant with Him that authority. It's very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, God's wrath always disturbed me. But I am chalking that up to I was just taught wrong in church. It has always seemed to me that in church God's wrath is something they tend to leave out, so when I did actually start reading about it, I would think, that doesn't sound like God. But the way the author described it, makes perfect sense, and it bothers me much less. But it makes sense, he can't overlook things that we do wrong, and he cannot condone unrighteous things. And really, what kind of father wouldn't punish his children for doing something wrong? Like you guys were saying, he has to teach us somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't confuse the wrath of Yahweh with His discipline. The wrath is for His advesaries, those that hate Him. The rod of correction is different. I think what we have to ask ourselves is "what side am I on?" How do you get to be an adversary verses a child who needs to be disciplined.

    James 4:4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with Elohim? Whoever therefore intends to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of Elohim.

    The "world" is the world system and living according to its precepts and being in agreement with it. That puts you in covenant with the world and not in covenant with Him. The "church" is in bed with the world and using its tactics to get people "saved". Whats wrong with that picture?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the strong language but the scripture does say "adulterers" and that is where they commit it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gary, I like that you pointed that out. The wrath of God is definitely something I never want to come in contact with. It's sad that the church's tactics make it come more in line with the world than anything else... That's some extreme deception of the enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the distinguishing between wrath and discipline!!!such a good thing to remember!!

    Think we should meet again at some point?! There are questions I personally have about the undertones about the church- that I would rather just talk about in person!! Thoughts???!!

    ReplyDelete